Saturday, August 30, 2014

Have You Hugged A Tree Today?

I got a reality check one day,
While on my daily walk in the woods,
As I brisked past my favorite tree,
He started screaming at me,
"Hey you!
Yeah you!
Have you hugged a tree today?!"
In hesitant dismay,
I replied,
"Um ... well ...
n-no ...
not recently."
"Well maybe you should!
We spend our lives,
Filtering your pollutants,
Making it possible for you to breath,
Offering you shade,
Shelter,
Nourishment,
With the literal
Fruits of our labors.
All we ask in return,
Is a little respect,
and love."
Feeling a little ashamed,
And wanting to mend my ways,
I enthusiastically
Embraced this angry tree,
And told him,
"Thank you,
for offering me shade,
On my hot summer walks.
Thank you,
For sheltering the creatures
In these woods.
Thank you,
For the clean air I breath.
Thank you tree.
I love you."
Now,
Everyday on my walks,
I hug my favorite tree,
And maybe even,
An extra two or three.
Have you hugged a tree today?

No comments:

Post a Comment